Andre Curbelo has joined the growing list of St. John’s players will enter the transfer portal since the firing of Mike Anderson and the hiring of Rick Pitino.
The talented but enigmatic point guard made the announcement Thursday afternoon, becoming the seventh player to announce his intention to leave.
Curbelo, twice suspended during the season by Anderson for disciplinary reasons, clashed with the former St. Louis. John’s coach and after transferring from Illinois failed to live up to expectations on the court.
Curbelo, who played his high school basketball for Long Island Lutheran, averaged 9.6 points per game and 4.3 assists per game in 26 games last year.
“The last two years I’ve seen a lot of ups and downs,” Curbelo posted a statement on Twitter, “I would like to take accountability for my shortcomings as I continue this journey of getting myself back with the support of my family and commitment to hard work.”
On Wednesday, juniors Posh Alexander and Dylan Ade-Wusu entered the portal.
Of the seven players who entered the portal, two players — Alexander and freshman AJ Storr — were given chances to return.
The last domino that could fall is junior wing David Jones, although a final decision has yet to be made.
In a Twitter post, Curbelo wrote that he believed the program was in good hands with Pitino and thanked the fan base, coaching staff and athletic director Mike Cragg for their support.
“Thank you for the St. John fans giving me so much love during my time here,” Curbelo’s statement continued.
The departure is no surprise.
In his initial press conference, Pitino said that he had not received great reports on many of the remaining players and hoped to bring in eight new faces.
He may still need more.
One of the st. John’s transfers found a new home on Thursday; A source told The Post that sophomore guard Rafael Pinzon has committed to Bryant.